Thursday, April 24, 2008

Friday, January 25, 2008 - Day 7 - Post-diagnosis

Wow. One week. It seems like forever since I found out I have cancer, and it also feels like it has been no time at all. I feel like I’ve talked to everyone under the sun about it in detail now. I also feel like I’m moving just as fast as I can just to stay afloat. I spoke with Greg Phillips today – he had colon cancer in the descending colon, and had to go through surgery and 6 months of chemo. Makes my 5 weeks look like nothing. He teared up when I told him, and said that he felt incredibly sorry for what I have yet to go through. He also explained a lot of the fun I can look forward to with chemo – the constipation, the runs, the nausea, the fatigue, and the deadening of some of my nerves (yippee!). I think this is going to be a bit tougher than I realize.

Things to remember: I have more friends than I think I do. People are basically good hearted trying to do good in the world.

I’m going to let the trainers know next week, and let it out to everyone at roughly the same time. I have also measured the weeks, and I’m going to do the Ragnar relay (178 mile relay race from Logan to Park City). It should happen roughly 3 weeks after I’m done recovering from surgery. It will be good. I’ll send the email tomorrow.

Tomorrow starts the second week of the rest of my life.

No comments: