Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Monday, January 28, 2008: Day 10 Post-diagnosis

Back to work today. I sent out an email to my trainers to let them know about the cancer. I expect to start answering questions tomorrow. I also sent out the email to the Ragnar team. I still need 4 more people, but then we’ll have our 12 for the 178 mile relay run in June. I think this will be a good thing and keep me focused on something other than the cancer, the chemo and the surgery.

Things to remember: there are a whole lot of people out there that care. I’m really lucky for many things – only 1 tumor that we know of, I’m young enough to take the chemo/surgery/radiation in stride, I have bosses that won’t fire me, I have insurance and a loving family. I have friends that will support me and neighbors that have rushed to offer assistance (and who shoveled my drive today before I got home). I’m lucky for a hell of a lot of things.

I need to approach this as a learning experience. There are not that many people who get this kind of opportunity to learn about themselves in this manner. I’ll get to learn about what I can handle and what I can’t – I’m sure I’ll learn more about how lucky I am in relation to others, but no matter what I’ll come away with more than I went into this with. If I can take something from it, then it will have been worth it. If I can learn something that I can pass on to Matan, to Siena, then it becomes something with value, and not just a lightning strike on a clear day.

No comments: