Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Tuesday, January 29, 2008: Day 11 Post-diagnosis

Got a bit more work done today than yesterday. I don’t seem to be so much in the haze today. Looking forward to tomorrow and meeting the medical oncologist – Dr. Weiss. I had a dream last night – I was running my fingers through my hair, and it started coming out and actually peeling back from my head. It was pretty damn scary, and I didn’t think I was scared about losing my hair. Guess I’ll have to get used to dreams about my body betraying me in one way or another…

I ran tonight, don’t know how far, just bundled up and ran for 40 minutes. A few things from the run – the joy of running in the dark and the snow, the tension of running along the side of a slick road as cars drive by, the Hummer that swerved toward me to scare me, the family that stopped to give a lift to a man in a motorized wheelchair that was making his way along the side of the road, and the idiot that honked at them for stopping in the unused center lane of the road. The sheer joy of the final sprint of every run, the pounding of feet, the clockwork of my legs like pistons, and the steam of my breath in the night air.

No comments: