Saturday, June 21, 2008

Saturday, June 21, 2008: Ragnar is finished...

It's done. 180 miles of Utah have passed under my and my teammates feet. We did not sleep more than 40 minutes over the last two days, and finished in about 31 hours (I'll get the exact amount soon). It was hot, it was cold, it was painful, it was wonderful. I'll write a bunch more tomorrow about all the specifics.

Let this be said though: If you do not push your limits, you never learn how much you can do.

The people that I met during this relay, the stories that I heard, the scenery that I passed by. If you get a chance to do one of these runs, do it. You (and your sore, sore legs) will always remember it.

Now that I've drunk my alcohol and eaten my fill, I'm going to sleep like the dead, because tomorrow morning I won't have all these nice endorphins anymore.

5 comments:

Savascha said...

I'm so proud of you, you maniac!

I bet your wife "Terry" is proud too. God bless the free press. :)

Amanda E. said...

My massive google-fu brought me to your blog after only two links! *laugh* I hope you don't mind that I'm reading, but after you mentioned that you blogged today I was interested in checking it out. Thanks for talking about all of this so frankly. It's interesting to read.

Darcy (aka Miss Pleasanton) said...

Just came across your blog. It's uplifting to see that you're still as amazing and strong a person as I remember you being.

sunvalleycarol said...

Hey Dov,

I met you in the waiting area of Huntsman this week when you were hauling ass around the corridor pushing your IV pole, wearing that goofy grin along with the "fuck cancer" tee shirt. Needless to say it made quite an impression. You later met my friend Mo who also has colon cancer and you made quite an impression on her as well.

I Googled you and found your blog. Yep, I'd say you have quite enough material for a book - including pictures of the sayings your wife wrote on your "cheeks" for your radiation sessions.

You have such a zest for life and a special gift for touching people. I fully expect to see you on the Oprah
Winfrey show as well as Jay Leno and The View (hopefully Elizabeth Hasselbeck will be gone by then) and, of course, I'll be looking for your book on the NY Times list of Best Sellers. Perhaps you'll even make an appearance at the annual Sun Valley Writers' Conference!

I wish you well in all your endeavors - snowboarding, half-Iron Man Triathlons (hell, why not WHOLE Iron Mans? Aim high!)

You're an incredible human being who is filled with light and I'm so glad we met in the hallowed halls of Huntsman.

XO,
Your friend,
Carol Harlig
Sun Valley, ID

Se7en said...

Dov,

Keep fighting brother! I saw your news video on abc4 and realized that this was the scrawney little guy that used to annoy me when we worked together @ El Sol!